Saturday, April 7, 2012

Lonely



Once I read /heard a story by Donald Davis, a famous and wonderful storyteller.
He pointed out that when he felt lonely he would go to the pasture at nighttime and lie down, carefully because the cows also used this pasture.  There he would look up at the stars, moon, clouds and know that all the people he loved were also looking and seeing those same stars, moon and clouds.  It gave him peace, he was not lonely anymore, he felt the spirits of all family and friends.

This came to mind as I watched the beautiful remarkable moon this week.  I shared some photos with friends and a comment I received was “Hummmm I saw that same moon off my back porch.  All of a sudden I felt much closer to her.  We shared the same moon. The distance from NY to GA was not far at all.

Sometimes I think of this world as soooo big with people I’ll never know, places I’ll never see, customs and ideas I’ll never be exposed to. Then I remember the moon covering us all and all of a sudden the world seems much smaller, more knowable and more livable.

So when I see the moon tonight I’ll know that it is also covering all my loved ones, we are not alone, we touch and influence each other in our lives.  I’m so glad to have relearned this thought. 

6 comments:

Lyn said...

Beautiful, Mary. I'm so glad you are not letting your forced inactivity affect your creativity.

MaryB said...

Thank you Lyn. I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes, I can't sit still, I have to do something.

Story Connection - Our Memories Bring Us Together said...

We do share our moon, don't we, Mary? I'll never ever look at the moon again without thinking about you, my friend.

marciamayo said...

That last one was from me, Marcia. For some reason, the ourstoryconnection came up.

Jennie said...

I enjoyed this, especially being so far away :) Thanks for sharing!

MaryB said...

Jennie, remember I with you and you are with me always. Glad you liked it.