Sunday, January 2, 2011

I'm Sorry, Mama

It sure took me a long time to get around to it BUT I’m there. Today I was washing dishes by hand and remembering long long ago when my sister and I were the official dish washer and drier at our home. That was before everybody had a dishwasher.
My biggest complaint was that Mama used every dish in the kitchen and every utensil. I was sure she meant to, that she worked at it, that she planned it. It was a scheme to make me have more dishes to wash. My teenage self just could not see how one person could dirty up all those dishes for just one meal. It must have been on purpose.
As I washed dishes tonight, there were so many and I am the only person living here, I realized that long long ago time when I complained I was not right. “I’m sorry, Mama.” I now know you didn’t dirty all those dishes just to aggravate me.
I find it amazing that it takes a lifetime to understand some things – nothing earth shattering, just everyday things. I remember that your motto was “get up early and get most of your work done in the AM”. Then the afternoon was for easier tasks, catch up tasks and of course a rest time. Amazing, that concept I understand and agree with now. It only took forever for me to get there – I thought sleeping late the height of luxury. Another theme was “tomorrow will be better”. This was particular true if it was bad news and received mid afternoon or later. The implication being – I can think better with a fresh mind. Yeah, you’re right. And when any trouble came our way “this too shall pass”. Over the years this concept helped me get through many a crisis. Understanding that the terrible crisis would not be forever did help me get through it.
Thank you Mama for your wisdom and I’m sorry for my complaining.
Love, Mary
12/30/10

2 comments:

marciamayo said...

"I find it amazing that it takes a lifetime to understand some things" - Mary, I'm finding that to be so true.

Peabea Scribbles said...

So true...it is amazing when the smallest thing comes clear to me, and I wonder why I never realized that before. I too use to get aggravated at my grandmother as she just kept putting things into the soapy water, and I would think I was done. I think being short and reaching the sink just made the chore seem that much longer. ~hugs~ Mary and so glad I found your blog. Thanks for the email directing me here.