Saturday, February 26, 2011

No Patience for Bored


I have no patience for being bored.  Being bored is boring!!  Therefore I figure out something to do.  A friend invited me to a buffet and concert.  She was going because the daughter of a friend of hers was in the concert.  My friend assured me it would be a good evening – good food, good music and good company.  Since we had not done anything together for some time, it seemed like a good idea.  It would be a time for us to visit and be entertained at the same time. 
So we went.  The food was good and we had a nice time catching up with the lives of each other.  Then we went to a big auditorium that had a proper stage and curtains.  The room would hold about 150 people and it was ¾ filled.  As I sat down I began to have a sinking feeling.  I am a retired elementary school teacher. Therefore I have been to more children’s concerts that you can count.  I taught for 25 years and went to school concerts, my son was in concerts, and the grandkids have been in concerts. In my retirement years a children’s concert is not high on my list of things to do (unless of course it involved family or friends). 
The concert started and I thought that it was wonderful for the parents and families, to me it was just boring.  I made excuses - it’ll get better, they’re just starting or maybe they’re just nervous.  It didn’t get better.  So it was grin and bear it for me.  I had my camera with me so I took pictures, without the flash – up stage, down stage, right stage, left stage, the performers and anything else I could think of.  Finally I ran out of ideas and sat for a few minutes trying to decide what I could do besides just sitting.  Then I saw the bald head of the man sitting in front of me.  He had some hair on the sides and top and the bit of hair was sticking out - this way and that way.  I spent the rest of the concert being thoroughly challenged by photographing his head.  I composed different pictures to get the hair going different ways.  That poor man had no idea he was my entertainment for the evening. 
When I was growing up, it was expected that I would entertain myself.  My parents did not think it was their job to make sure all my time was scheduled.  It was my job to keep myself occupied and if I should complain I was told I had one minute to find something to do or they would find something for me to do.  I knew their idea of something to do was work: like dust the living room, hoe the garden, wash the dishes or some other terrible chore.
I grew up with the idea that it was my job to keep myself busy and so it has been all my life.  People who say they have nothing to do or they are bored puzzle me.  I really can’t understand.  The world is full of things to do. 
Now the other point of view is that my house is a mess.  It is filled with projects in different stages of progress.  This doesn’t bother me but to others it says, “Mary is a bad housekeeper”.  That does bother me so I keep trying to keep some order.  It is in order according to me but not to anybody else.  When I go to visit friends and their houses are immaculate – - I’m amazed.  How can they live in a place like that.  There’s not a place to do things.  I also notice that they are quite happy and want it to look like that and spend much time making sure it looks like that.  Ahh, there’s the difference.  Instead of cleaning, I get involved in a project and am totally engrossed in whatever I’m doing.  Creating fills my soul, it is therapy for me.  I’m expecting a fairy godmother to come along and keep the house decent.  Notice, I’m still waiting.  I made a sign for my study.  It says:
If
You came to see me,
Come on in and sit a spell.
If
You came to see the house -
(how it's decorated, how clean it is)
Call and make an appointment.

I think that says it all. In the meantime I’m always busy doing projects that I love.   Cleaning is not one of those things! 

6 comments:

marciamayo said...

Mary, that's why you and I are such kindred spirits. When I'm creating, I get in a zone where I'm pulling out stuff and tossing it every which way, trying to find just the right piece of cloth or paper or information, or whatever. I go a little crazy.
In addition, I'd really rather not have people visit me because they might stay too long. I would much rather visit them at their home or at a restaurant so I can leave when I get ready. So, in some ways, my messiness is a guard against too many people taking up too much of my time.

Jennie said...

I just loved this post, Ant Merry! Totally you and totally honest, too funny about the man in front of you. . . those are some photos I'd like so see :)

Peabea Scribbles said...

It makes me antsy for people to just sit around and do nothing. I've always been busy reading or doing crafts or going somewhere. I do try to keep my house kind of orderly...it goes really messy until I no longer can stand it and then I clean..then I mess again. I agree, I hate being bored. I too am amazed at the people that can do crafts or other things and still keep an immaculate house. I've never been immacualte, but tidy. I'm always finding a project though and then I'm so messy when I do that, and with now watching the 4 yr old grandbaby..it is like having kids again with his toys. Love having him though..he keeps me not so bored. Love your post as usual. I agree, I really don't even like going to the grandkids' school programs..been there, done that.

GeorgeEspenlaub said...

Fantastic post! I laughed out loud sitting in my car reading this. No I wasn't driving.

MaryB said...

Thanks George. Thank goodness you weren't driving!!

Anonymous said...

This will be a very gravid imagination that you are supplying and you pass it away for free. I savour seeing websites that be aware of the value of supplying a prime resource for free. I truly enjoyed reading your Wiley Post. Thanks!Florida Marlins Hats,Houston Astros Hats,Canada Goose Coats