Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Curiosity


Isn’t it a curiosity that I am I and you are you?

As I sit here tonight at a Folk Music Concert at Fiddler’s in Hyde Park listening to the incredible Sally Rogers, I wonder.  Sitting on my right is my friend Lyn a well known and loved folk singer who joins in the singing anytime Sally Rogers invites participation. And on my left is my friend Eileen who loves music and performs often and she also joins in singing along.  I’m hearing incredible music from all sides. There is not a better seat in the house.

Isn’t it strange since I’m not a musician at all.

I’ve always been involved with musical people.  In High School my best friend was Debbie.  She had a most beautiful singing voice and sang in all the special events in our medium sized town. She was our singing sensation.  I always marveled at Debbie’s talent  and was jealous of her.  There was no doubt what she was going to do in life.  It would be something with music.  What would I do in life?   I didn’t know except there were about a hundred things that really interested me but not one that demanded I do it.

I married a jazz musician. He was not someone who did music on the side. It was his life and his life’s work.  I had never seen or felt anybody with such a passion for an activity.  He really had no concept how utterly ignorant I was about music. Early in our relationship, we were riding in the car listening to a jazz band on the radio.  He casually asked me who was playing.  What a strange question??  I thought, “a bunch of people”.  No, he meant who was playing trumpet.  “Was he crazy! People could tell who was playing just by listening.”  I was dumbfounded.  He told me it was Miles Davis, a famous and talented jazz musician and that one day I would be able to tell when he was playing.  Ha! That shows how little he understood my music disability. It was inconceivable to me that you could tell who was playing an instrument.  Didn’t they all sound alike?  I did get so that I could tell (most of the time) which instrument was playing and I thought that was wonderful. 

The musical gene was passed on down to our son.  He hears the sounds of each instrument and has perfect pitch.  He learned to play the saxophone and drums in elementary school and even formed his own band.  The competition with his father and his father’s critical comments proved too much and he dropped being an active part of the music world.  Since that time he became a listener who has a keen appreciation for music.   Our granddaughters both sang in the school choirs, played in the bands, acted and sang in the high school plays, and have taken dance lessons and performed since 4 or 5 years old.  They are now in college and are part of the Dance Company at their respective schools. Any time they perform, I ask them if they told the teacher or director that they got their talent from Nana.  Of course that always brings BIG DENIALS and comments like, “Nana, you know better”. I’m the odd ball out but over the years. I have learned to enjoy and appreciate music.

But I do seem to have an attraction for the musical type person.

In my family, playing the piano was considered a social grace that any young lady should know.  It was the proper thing to do, so my sister and I were given piano lessons when we were in elementary school. That lasted about two years.  We went to lessons once a week and were supposed to practice an hour a day.  Well, that hardly ever happened for me. I was much too busy riding my bicycle, climbing trees, playing with my dog and horse and running anywhere.  One day my father was supposed to take my sister and me to our piano lesson and he happened to ask how much we had practiced since the last lesson.  Since we confessed that we had not touched the piano, Daddy said that it was time to end the lessons.  It was, he did and I never missed them.  I really had no talent or interest in that direction.

Evidently my singing voice also leaves something to be desired.  Until I was in the fifth grade I thought I sang just like everybody else.  But my teacher Mrs. Martin taught me differently.  I went to a three room school in the country and Mrs. Martin was the principal and taught fifth, sixth and seventh grades. These grades were planning a Christmas program.  We were all on stage singing and Mrs Martin said, “Something doesn’t sound quite right, it’s coming from this side.  Mary Elizabeth would you come sit down and the rest of you – let’s try it again.” They sang and then she said, “Ahh, that’s much better.”  That’s all I remember about the program. 

Many years later, my then husband and I used to travel with a band all over the United States doing one nighters.  We would play at a hotel and then travel about 500 miles to play at a different hotel the next night. Sometimes that traveling was hard.  We traveled in our car and Eddie developed a system for staying awake when he was tired.  He’d ask me to sing for him.  My singing was so bad that there was no way he could go to sleep listening to me.  By this time he did have some comprehension of my music disability and had informed me that I was tone deaf.  But see, it did serve a purpose.


In high school, I decided I wanted to be the life of the party at summer camp and I decided the way to do it was to play the ukulele.  I bought a cheap one and then had to tune it.  I couldn’t – I could not hear the different tones.  So I called my friend Debbie, I stood on tiptoe to talk into the phone that was hung on the wall in the back of the hall.  I plucked one string and she would say higher or lower and we kept doing that til it was tuned.  Obviously this was too cumbersome to continually do and besides I couldn’t tell when it was out of tune and I needed to call Debbie.  That was the end of my only real try in the music world. 


Isn’t it a curiosity that I am I and you are you?
Aren’t we collectively and individually a curiosity?

7 comments:

George Espenlaub said...

Great story. Sounds like me. I can't even play the radio right but then if you weren't you and I wasn't me neither one of us would be who we are and the world would suffer terribly, lol.

marciamayo said...

My daddy used to say that the only thing he could play was the juke box. I inherited my musical ability from him. But every musician needs an audience and that's what we're for, Mary.

Peabea Scribbles said...

Your story kind of parallels me except that I ended up the keybaord player in my musician husbands band. We did that for a living for a while after we came home from the road and played 5 nights a week locally. Then he and I and the kids played from the time our oldest was 8 until he was about 17 in the family band. Prior to that when I married the hubby, he was in a band and we went on the road for about a year and a half. My oldest plays drums and took coronet in school since he already knew the drums (his senior year though they asked him to be the drummer in the band that played for the musical, which was an honor since he didn't take drums at school), my middle son plays the bass guitar and keyboards and was in the family band for a few years also. They now only get together with their dad and have jam sessions at home and he loves it. Know what you mean about the musician..he picks out all the different instruments and his passion for music is kind of sad since he chose to leave the road and stay with the family life and eventually had to go to work since musicians don't get really rich unless they make it big and we had a family to keep. The family band was just a week-end thing.

Peabea Scribbles said...

I will say, I always enjoyed being the audience and dancing to the music rather than being on stage. I just didn't have the passion for it that my husband does. He still loves to discuss music with anyone that will listen.

MaryB said...

Yes George the world would be a different place if you were not you and I was not me. Can't imagine it.

MaryB said...

Marcia, my daddy would say that the only thing he could play was on the linoleum. Sounds like the same sense of humor as your dad.

MaryB said...

Peabea - Wow you really have a musical family. It sounds like it has been a business and it is also a pleasure. I'm jealous that you can all come together and enjoy music. Thanks for your comments.